The 2016 Western Legacy Awards recipients pictured above are (left to right) Robert Anderson, Logan Fyke, Inn for the Cold (Neil Smith, Janeen Webb), and Darby Young.
2015 Western Legacy Awards - Recipients
On Thursday, November 12, 2015 the Calgary Stampede honoured two outstanding community builders, three inspiring individuals and one remarkable group for their contributions to southern Alberta.
- Chairman’s Award – M. Ann McCaig and Steve Snyder – Recognized for their vision, leadership and commitment as co-chairs of the Calgary Stampede Foundation We’re Greatest Together, capital campaign, the results of which are transforming Stampede Park with a lasting legacy by creating ENMAX Park, Youth Campus and the Agriculture Discovery Zone.
- Youth – Quinn Clark – Nominated for his thirst for volunteering, work with Calgary Urban Project Society (CUPS) and support to improve access to adequate and nutritious food with Quinn’s Challenge.
- Innovation – Brad Fisher – Nominated for creating a remarkable program to aid Calgary’s homeless community through spiritual healing experiences for individuals in distress.
- Sustained Contribution, Individual – Chuck Groeneveld – Nominated for his tireless commitment to agriculture for over 50 years in Southern Alberta to share the traditions and changes within the beef and agriculture industry.
- Sustained Contribution, Group – The Doorway – Nominated for being a bridge between the street and mainstream cultures for youth in community to learn and develop the tools to attain sustainable economic independence.
Established in 2005, three awards (Sustained Contribution, Innovation, Youth) traditionally recognize people from Calgary and the surrounding area who have acted on their visions to create a better community.
WLA Past Recipients
|2014||Sustained Contribution (Individual)||Rick Hanson|
|Sustained Contribution (Group)||Project Warmth Society of Alberta|
|2013||Sustained Contribution (Individual)||Rick Smith|
|Sustained Contribution (Group)||Children’s Hospital Aid Society|
|Innovation||Brian Nimjean & Paul Wagman|
|Centennial Edition||100 Outstanding Albertans|
|2011||Sustained Contribution (Individual)||Larry and Mitzie Wasyliw|
|Sustained Contribution (Group)||RCMP Veteran's Association|
|2010||Sustained Contribution (Individual)||Gordon Hoffman|
|Sustained Contribution (Group)||Rotary Club of Calgary|
|Innovation||Rita Egizii, Barbara Cunnings-Versaevel and John Stephure (posthumously) of Wellspring Calgary|
|Calgary Stampede Chairman's Award||Ron Carey|
|2009||Sustained Contribution (Individual)||George Ward|
|Sustained Contribution (Group)||Boys and Girls Club of Calgary|
|2008||Sustained Contribution||Dr. Margaret (Marmie) Hess|
|Innovation||Cheadle Lions Club – World Foodgrains Bank project|
|Calgary Stampede Chairman’s Award||Joe Carbury|
|2007||Sustained Contribution||Jack Toth
|Innovation||Galileo Educational Network|
|Youth||Chantika and Christian Hazell|
|2006||Sustained Contribution||Eddie Cochlan|
|2005||Sustained Contribution||Lenore and Roy McLean|