Originally installed in 2012 near the Victoria Park Station entrance, moved to ENMAX Park in 2022
About the Installation
The First Nations of Treaty 7 have always been an important part of the Calgary Stampede. In 2012, the Calgary Stampede centennial year, this piece was unveiled at the Victoria Park Station entrance to commemorate and celebrate the century-long relationship between First Nations families from Treaty 7 nations and the Calgary Stampede. Due to construction of the BMO Centre Expansion, the sculpture was relocated closer to Elbow River Camp in ENMAX Park in 2022.
Designed to look like a half tipi, the semi-circle design depicts the historic iconography that represents the Kainai, Piikani, Siksika, Stoney Nakoda and Tsuut’ina. The sculpture sits on the original site of the Elbow River Camp, Sun Tree Park.
Did You Know?
In 1912, Indigenous peoples were not allowed to celebrate their cultures on their own reserves because of Indian Act laws and regulations. The Stampede was one of the only places they were welcomed to participate and celebrate their traditions publicly because of a special agreement Guy Weadick and the Calgary Stampede made with the government.
Elbow River Camp is organized by volunteers on the Stampede's First Nations Events committee, Stampede employees and the tipi families who camp at Elbow River Camp during the Stampede